Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Honestly Me



  As I sit here on my couch and begin to write this post, I feel  if I should attach a warning label that says, "excessive negativity," or preface what I'm about to write by saying, I have never felt this sad, this angry, this scared, or this alone, when attempting to put together a blog post.  I also would like to say that due to how emotional I am as I write this post, I can almost guarantee that it will not read as well, or be put together as cohesively as It should. Now that I have gotten the formalities out of the way, here are the facts: On October 29th I had a procedure done called an E.R.C.P, where the doctor inserts a long flexible tube down my esophagus, and into my G.I tract. The following is what I had to endure after the "procedure."

  When I "came to" in the recovery room, I remember being met by the surgeon who performed my procedure, and being told that the "procedure" took about two hours to complete.  From what I remember the surgeon didn't seem to be concerned with the lengthy time of the procedure, and if he wasn't worried, neither was I. When I got home that evening, I was dead tired and felt like hell, I went directly to bed, and slept through Wednesday. By Thursday afternoon I finally pulled myself out of bed in hopes that moving around my apartment, and trying to eat something would make me feel better, unfortunately that wasn't the case.  Days went by and I was still feeling run down, and my stomach cramps had become so intense that I couldn't tell if I was starving or nauseous, I felt horrible, but still, the worst was yet to come.

  Around eleven p.m. Sunday evening I went to bathroom to empty my ileostomy bag, and that's when I realized how sick I really was. I wasn't putting out stool from my ileostomy, but blood, dark, red, fresh, blood, and just as quickly as I emptied my ileostomy, it would start to fill with blood once again.  Fast forward about an hour, and I find myself in the E.R of The Washington Hospital Center, where I would spend five hours being evaluated, scanned, and waiting for doctors to figure what to do with me. At roughly five a.m. I was admitted to the I.C.U, and was promptly met by a team of doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists, who were getting the room, as well as my self prepped for an upper endoscopy so they could figure out where the bleeding was coming from, and stop it.  The official diagnosis was "acute internal bleeding." Two days later I had another E.R.C.P to check how I was healing from the cauterization performed when I was first admitted, as well as to remove the two stents from my bile duct and pancreas that where placed during my E.R.C.P on the 29th. Initially things looked good as I was on the mend, and the stent from my bile duct was successfully removed, but the stent from my pancreas was unable to be removed, as it now was floating somewhere along my G.I tract.  I was told not to worry as the stents themselves are small, and I should pass the missing stent in my stool over the next few days following said procedure.  I still haven't passed the stent

  During my four day stay in the I.C.U, I was told that I was anemic, with a touch of pancreatitis. I received two units of potassium intravenously, and had two units of blood transfused due to my "acute internal bleeding."  I have never been so scared in my entire life. My palms where ghostly white, and without color due to the amount of blood I lost, I was unable to leave my bed, because of how lightheaded and weak I had become, and because of my weakened state everything had to be done for me; use your imagination concerning that last statement. This was an experience that has done far more damage to my psyche than my physical person. With every ache and pain I have felt since being discharged I assume the worst. The last time I had unusual aches and pains, I found myself in the intensive care unit, what's next? My paranoia has manifested itself into anger and resentment, and in turn I have become a person I truly loathe.

   I resent everyone.  I resent everyone who is healthy and takes it for granted. I resent everyone who drinks, does drugs, over eats, or smokes, and then has the audacity to complain about the negative impact these choices have had on their health, and/or even think they are some how deserving of sympathy for something that they did to themselves! I hate everyone who constantly complains about their, "oh so tough lives," what I wouldn't give to have some of the problems most people bitch about. Oh, and by the way, no, all of our problems are not relative, in fact they are very particular.  When I hear people complain about their "problems," in my head I'm screaming, "get some fucking perspective!, At least you have your health, and you should only be so lucky never to know what its like not to!" 

  Bottom Line: I have become the quintessential bitter, and jaded old man. The man who cant stand happiness, unless it is his own.




             



15 comments:

  1. You'll never be bitter until you're Greek my friend!! Keep your head up brother. I'm here for you however you need

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just completely stumbled upon your blog by way of, I gather, your friend(s) at Sweet Bespoke Photography. I have nothing helpful to say, but I was wrenched by what you're going through. I don't pray, but my most optimistic and positive thoughts are with you. Your journey has sucked badly and I deeply hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the positive thoughts, and for taking the time to read my blog, that means a lot. It will get better, I just need to get out of this negative mindset.

      Delete
  3. Kris I can't even begin to imagine the frustration that you're going through when it comes to your health. You've been dealt a really tough hand. Unfortunately in the medical world your referred to as a interesting patient and medically speaking it's better to be boring then interesting. I can't tell you that everything is going to get better.. I wish I could, however; only time will tell.
    What I can tell you is it's only been just shy of four months since you had major surgery. You've hit lots of bumps along the way. But you keep fighting and I strongly believe everything will get better!!
    It's easy to get frustrated with others for what we take for granted.. I know you well enough to know this recent blog is you having a case of the f-it's.. Your not wrong for having these feelings of resentment.. It's hard to see people take things for granted and frustration is a normal reaction. Your a strong positive man who normally try's to help people with their weaknesses not resent them for having them. (frustrated by them sure. If you did not care about these people it would not bother you.I don't think.)
    You also have to remember you have a LOT to be thankful for!! You have a lot of people in your life who love and care about you and want to see you succeed.
    I know that fighter is still in there! Your the man who's walking around with the "Badge of Honor," because he's a survivor! I look forward to hearing more from you. ~hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said...

      Delete
    2. Emily---You're definitely right, I do have a whole lot to be thankful for. For example where would I be if you didn't answer the phone to take me to the E.R at midnight, and then stay there with me until 6 am, even though you had to be in Baltimore at ten a.m. for work. Thank you. It just the whole "one step forward, two steps back" thing that gets me, or "when it rains it pours," I could go on all day with silly clichés about how I feel concerning my luck when it comes to health. The thing is, when I go through tough times, I need to remember the positives in my life instead of focusing on the negative.

      Delete
  4. Kris! You may not remember me, but I remember you well! I heard about your health from a distance, over the years. I know it sucks ass sometimes, but I am so glad you are still alive. My second son was born with life threatening birth defects that left him deaf and blind. I get so angry and resentful, watching negligent idiots have healthy babies. Our level of what to be grateful for has been reduced to the basic functions that most people take for granted. To hear people complain about what I would pay money to have is a bitter pill to swallow. Over the years I have learned to sit with these feelings, to let them out (on my blog!), and to allow them the respect and time they deserve. When you are in the battle of your life it is sometimes rage, stubbornness, and a sense of grave injustice that propels you forward. The key is to know when to use it, as there is a force of nature in anger, and when to lay it down. It's not fair what you have to deal with, that is true. Sometimes in my worst moments, I have to remember that my son surviving wasn't fair either. I am resentful when unfairness doesn't favor me, and grateful when it does. We humans are funny animals. (So nice to see you again!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I remember you Shannon! I had the biggest crush on you in high school, shhh, don't tell anyone. I agree whole heatedly with everything you said, for the most I would like to think that I am a positive person, no matter the situation, but especially situations concerning my health, it's just that old saying, "when it rains it pours," and having to deal with so much in such a small amount of time broke me, so I just let it all out, 100% brutal honesty, hoping it could be cathartic in some way, or at the very least be able to show someone else that its okay to have these feelings, its how one deals with them that counts. Anyway, I hope that I don't come across as "the bitter od man" that I say I am, as much as just a guy being honest about how he feels about his situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, 01/16/2014 you will become a Whipple Warrior!!!
    Our motto is: NEGU ~ NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!
    For the joy of the Lord is your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a fighter Kris! Lean on those that offer comfort for your pain. Don't forget about God, He loves you and is there every step of the way, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I believe that's true, I find it hard at times to believe it though especially when things look so bleak, but those are the times I need to remember that the most!

      Delete
  8. just wanted to touch base with you to see if you need anything and how your doing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a lot better than I was. I'm still on T.P.N, though aloud to eat but low fat only as I have an inflamed pancreas, and waiting for that to heal. Thanks for checking in with me. (-:

      Delete
  9. Love the last paragraph, you boldly state what a lot of people want to say but don't have the courage to do so

    ReplyDelete